Pages

Sunday 27 June 2021

Water Awareness

                                     Water Awareness

On Tuesday, two weeks ago, Mrs Agnew, our teacher, told us we were going swimming. I was excited and not at the same time. Two reasons: I like going to the pools, but I cannot swim. I was still determined to learn. So at 11:55, I got changed into my rash shirt and swimming shorts and put on a jumper that I got from home and wrapped a towel around me.


We came on a bus and went through Morrin Rd and stopped at CLM The Bays. We waited for almost 5 minutes because we didn't know where to go because it was our first day at the pools. Then, Mr Bell was told to take us to the back. We did, and waiting there was the Co-ordinator, Lauren."Come in", she said. We went through a door that was supposed to be a Fire Exit and arrived at Swim Magic Swim School.


Our Teachers were: Lauren the Co-ordinator (Mondays), Laura (Tuesdays & Thursdays) and Parys on Fridays. During our first lesson we learned how to float on our backs. This is important especially in an emergency at sea. 

At the end of each session we would do a manu. If you don't know what this means, it is a big jump into the pool. I was proud of mine.

On the last Thursday, we arrived at the pools and there was an inflatable boat on the water. We were told to get into the boat and sit with our legs inside it, facing others. Then when the teacher said 'go' we had to fall backwards into the water. That is the safest way to enter water from a boat.

I appreciate the Board of Trustees' generosity in paying for us all to attend water awareness lessons.

2 comments:

  1. Credits
    Swim Magic Swim School Teachers: Lauren, Parys, Laura, Lauren, Laura, Carlos, Daniel and Kelsy and all swimming teachers
    My Bro Augustine for helping me swim
    My Mum and Dad for getting my togs ready for the first day
    And for everyone who supported me during these lessons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Daniel, thank you for sharing your recount of our lessons with Swim Magic Swim School. I like the way that although you were nervous of the water, you were determined to learn skills that will keep you safe in the water. Well done, Daniel.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.